[PyVigo] Python Language Founder Steps Down

dsanfab dsanfab at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 04:46:20 UTC 2018

https://alterslash.org/day/20180712#article-12349510

  Python Language Founder Steps Down

Posted by msmash • 2018-Jul-12 16:02 • View on SlashDot
<https://developers.slashdot.org/story/18/07/12/201231/python-language-founder-steps-down#comments>
• Shareable Link <https://alterslash.org/day/20180712#article-12349510>

After almost 30 years of overseeing the development of the world's most
popular language, Python, its founder and "Benevolent Dictator For Life"
(BDFL), Guido van Rossum, has decided to remove himself entirely from
the decision process
<https://www.zdnet.com/article/python-language-founder-steps-down/>.
>From a report: /Van Rossum isn't leaving Python entirely. He said, "I'll
still be there for a while as an ordinary core dev, and I'll still be
available to mentor people -- possibly more available." It's clear from
van Rossum's note he's sick and tired of running the organization. He
wrote, "I don't ever want to have to fight so hard for a PEP (Python
Enhancement Proposals) [PEP 572 Assignment Expressions] and find that so
many people despise my decisions." In addition, van Rossum hints he's
not been well. "I'm not getting younger... (I'll spare you the list of
medical issues.)" So, "I'm basically giving myself a permanent vacation
from being BDFL, and you all will be on your own."/ From the email
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-committers/2018-July/005664.html>:
/I am not going to appoint a successor. So what are you all going to do?
Create a democracy? Anarchy? A dictatorship? A federation? I'm not
worried about the day to day decisions in the issue tracker or on
GitHub. Very rarely I get asked for an opinion, and usually it's not
actually important. So this can just be dealt with as it has always
been./ At Slashdot, we had the privilege of interviewing Guido van
Rossum, a Computer History Museum honoree
<https://developers.slashdot.org/story/18/02/24/1512207/computer-history-museum-honorees-include-python-creator-guido-van-rossum>,
in 2013
<https://developers.slashdot.org/story/13/08/25/2115204/interviews-guido-van-rossum-answers-your-questions>.